Uncommon Nonsense

Video games, books, and day-to-day drivel

9.13.2006

The Google Homepage and Me

I'm not one for having a "homepage", generally. Firefox usually just opens up to the Firefox default page and that's that. Recently, I've seen Richard using the Google Homepage. He raves about it all the time, so I decided to give it a look, and holy christ on a cracker is it ever cool. Ever had a site that you thought was cool but never remember to check? Don't really like RSS feeds coming to you via e-mail or whatever client? Put it on the homepage. There are tons of widgets and news feeds and all sorts of business you can put on it. I may be way behind the times (I'm pretty tech-savvy if I do say so, but sometimes you just miss things, you know?), but here's the list of things I have on mine so far. You can add these to your homepage by setting up a google account and editing your homepage, then searching the homepage content for the titles.

Important World News Extravaganza column:
-BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition
-Wired News: Top Stories
-Google News: Top Stories
-New Scientist: Latest Headlines
-Institute of Physics News
-Science @ NASA
-NPR Topics: World
-NPR Topics: News
-NPR Topics: Technology
-NPR Topics: Books
-Reuters: Oddly Enough
-Discovery News

Other Business Middle Column:
-Gamasutra News
-Gamasutra Feature Articles
-Gamedev.net
-Slashdot
-Good-tutorials.com: Newest Tutorials
-Howstuffworks.com
-Disinformation
-London Review of Books
-Rotten Tomatoes: Movies
-SciFi Wire

"Of the Day" Right Column:
-German Audio Word of the Day
-This Day in History
-How-to of the Day
-Digg
-Dictionary.com Word of the Day
-NASA Image of the Day
-Quotes of the Day

That probably says a lot about me. Also, that is a ton of shit to look at. Now I'll probably waste more time than ever reading things on the internet when I have schoolwork and all kinds of other business to attend. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home